I found this little guy out on my driveway yesterday. He looks quite a bit like the snails I keep in my fish tanks so I took some pictures to share.
Some Snail Facts:
1. The largest land snail ever found was 15 inches long and weighed 2 pounds!
2. Snails reply mainly on their sense of touch and smell when finding food because they have very poor eyesight.
3. Snails cannot hear.
4. Snails can retract one or both of their tentacles at a time.
5. Garden Snails mainly eat garden plants and vegetables, but they will also eat decaying plants and soil.
6. Garden snails evolved from sea snails about 600 million years ago.
There are some out there who view these little fellows as Garden pests to be terminated with extreme prejudice. They seem to forget in an effort to save their garden that all things in nature work together. You see these are also tasty treats for your local song birds. So if you want to control your popluations of snails in your garden then consider turning your back yard into a habitat for song birds. Add a bird bath and some plants they can hide in then some feeders to add variety to their diets. Then you will have yourself a natural control and you can enjoy them for the amazing creatures they are instead of hating them as an enemy of the garden.